Any individual or organization that intends to organize a Special Event in the City of Oberlin must submit a completed Special Event Permit Application at least 60 days before the event, but no more than 6 months in advance.
Please note that depending on the type of activities involved in the Special Event, other permits may be required from other agencies, such as Lorain County Public Health, the Ohio Division of Liquor Control, the City of Oberlin Building Office, the Oberlin Fire Department, etc.
A Special Event is considered an event that meets any of the following criteria:
- An athletic event that uses a City street, sidewalk, alley, or other public right-of-way in a manner that obstructs, delays or interferes with the normal flow of vehicular or pedestrian traffic, or that does not comply with traffic laws and controls. Examples may include 5K run, marathon, bicycle race, fundraising walk, fun run, etc.
- A block party that requires the closure of a street or portion of a street to vehicular traffic.
- A social event or gathering that takes place on public property (City street, sidewalk, alley, other public right-of-way, City park or City facility) or on private property and
- Is likely to obstruct, delay or interfere with the normal flow of vehicular or pedestrian traffic;
- Whose participants are likely not to comply with traffic laws and controls; and/or
- Involves the use of City personnel or City resources
Examples may include a street fair, circus, farmer’s market, street market, arts & crafts show, exhibition (i.e. car show, air show), carnival, festival, indoor or outdoor musical concert.
For questions related to the Special Event Permit process, please contact the City Manager’s Office at SpecialEvents@cityofoberlin.com or 440-776-4827.
To assist you in developing the required site plan for the application, the templates below have been created featuring commonly used event spaces in the City. Please refer to the application packet for further information regarding the site plan requirements.
The application form and all pertinent documents may be scanned and submitted via email to SpecialEvents@cityofoberlin.com
or mailed/delivered to:
City of Oberlin City Manager’s Office
69 South Main Street
Oberlin, OH 44074
(Office Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 4:30pm)
Once your Special Event Permit has been approved, events may be advertised on the Community Calendar, which is displayed on Environmental Dashboards throughout the City.
Click HERE to Submit your Event to the Community Calendar
The Environmental Dashboard is a project through Oberlin College. For more information on the Environmental Dashboard, including the Community Calendar, visit https://environmentaldashboard.org/